Finding yourself on the wrong side of the law can be terrifying. This is especially true for first time offenders, who more often than not have no idea of what to do about their problems. It is normal to feel panicky if you break the law and are arrested. However, it does not mean that you have to surrender yourself completely to the will of the authorities. It is only fair that your side of the story be heard and considered before any judgments are passed. This is the part where attorneys become invaluable to the public. If you are not familiar with the laws that criminalize your behavior, or are worried that you lack the eloquence to defend yourself in front of a judge or jury, know that you are not alone.
Smith and White is one of the most reputable law firms in Tacoma. The attorneys specialize in criminal law and can ably defend you in a huge number of criminal charges. Here are some of the criminal that the attorneys can defend you from:
- Driving Under the Influence – Driving under the influence is one of the most common offenses that people in Washington are charged with. It matters not whether the drug in question is alcohol or marijuana, or any other drug for that matter. As soon as you pass the breathalyzer test, you are most likely going to be arrested. The penalties of drunk driving are mostly harsh, and they can be disruptive to one’s life. Luckily enough there are many defenses that are available to one who has been charged with driving under the influence. Your lawyer can point out some circumstances that could greatly weaken the prosecution’s case, especially the circumstances surrounding your arrest. If you are in need of a DUI attorney Tacoma, be sure to contact Smith and White.
- Violent crimes – Another class of crimes that you can be charged with is violent crimes, which include such things as assault, battery, manslaughter, murder, burglary and robbery. Because of the weight of these crimes, there are generally many defenses that are available to an accused person. One thing that must be established before one is found guilty of these crimes is that they had an intention to commit the alleged crime. If intention is not established, then the prosecution’s case is likely to collapse. Another defense that is likely to exonerate you is if you were acting in self-defense. If your attorney can prove that you acted reasonably under the circumstances to prevent harm from befalling you or others, then you might receive light or even no punishment.
- Firearms and Weapons Offenses – In Washington, the laws governing the possession and use of firearms are very strict. There are certain types of firearms that you can possess, but not move around with. Others must not be concealed if you walk around with them. Because of these numerous laws, it is easy to find yourself breaking the law out of ignorance. But with attorneys like Smith and White, you can rest assured that they will do all in their power to get those charges against you dropped.
- Federal Drug Charges – Being found in possession of certain drugs, or been accused of manufacturing or trafficking these drugs can land you into serious legal trouble. The law on illegal drugs is very clear, and the penalties are heavy. But with a good lawyer, you can still be able to avoid criminal liability regardless of the circumstances surrounding your arrest.
- Knowledgeable Domestic Violence – This is yet another class of crime that one can be charged with. It covers a wide array of crimes such as battery, stalking, rape and trespass. With an experienced attorney however, you can be able to avoid liability for these allegations as well.
- Record expungement – Having criminal records is not the most desirable thing. Smith and White can however be able to clear your name from this undesirable list. The firm also deals with restoration of civil rights.
Why should you choose Smith and White?
This firm operates on three basic principles: integrity, experience and success. Because of their integrity, they are not swayed by every passing wind to do things the easy way. They always endeavor to do things the right way. With their experience, they know how to apply the law to the maximum advantage of their clients. And ultimately, their goal is to win cases for clients. On the whole, the firm is performing well on the job. If you have any criminal legal problems, leaving your case with Smith and White ensures that it is in safe hands.